From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Wednesday 21 May 2014

New York - day 7

Written Monday 19 May

I meant to see a lot today - the public library, the subway grating Marilyn Monroe famously stood over in that white dress and the rest of Central Park. Ended up doing exactly zero of these things and had yet another lazy day consisting of bagels, juice, tea and chilling in the lobby. The guy in the bagel place - Daniel's Bagels - was super nice, he gave me a free dessert & a free tea to go :) and the guy in the pastry shop across the road slipped an extra dessert into a cake box I put together for my roomie yesterday. People are so nice! 

Can't say the same for the hoards of pushy tourists at the Empire State (finally went - kind of cool that's the last thing I'll do in NY). This sounds horribly British and uptight but some people really don't understand the simple concept of queuing. The next person who stands so close behind me that they're practically pushed up against my back and breathing down my neck is going to get an elbow somewhere unpleasant, I swear to god. Queue took forever but was genuinely worth the wait - the nighttime views were incredible.



Spent half an hour at the Observatory (86th floor) before pootling back to the hostel to pack in the dark (all the other people in my dorm were asleep and my head torch has helpfully stopped working...3 days before a camping trip). Got 3 hours of sleep...New York's notorious insomnia sure seems to be contagious!