From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Sunday 4 May 2014

Bonito - day 3

Written Saturday 3 May

I know I said in a previous post that having half a Pisco Sour was a Peruvian rite of passage and didn't screw up my no drinking policy, but I don't think I can use the same excuse to justify swigging 3 sampler shots of typical Brazilian tipple and 3 Caipirinhas. 

In my defence, the sampler shots were free (rule no.1 of travelling = nab as much free stuff as you can; soap, shampoo and technically hoarding teabags from hostel breakfast buffet tables isn't stealing...). Considering those Caipirinhas were 40% and the shots were evil & set my throat on fire, the morning wasn't too bad - only felt like I was going to vom for the first half an hour of the day, pretty good going for someone with a pathetically low alcohol tolerance. 

Today passed in a blissful haze at the Balneario do Sol - a 'water park' sans slides and rides, basically a nice grassy area with a usually crystal clear river running through it (unfort the heavy rains kicked up all the sediment which still hadn't settled so it was a bit murkier than normal, booo) surrounded by jungle. Spent the day sunbathing, walking and weaving between tropical trees with my camera firmly fixed in the direction of the resident wildlife - monkeys!








Monkey overload I know but this really has been a highlight. Seeing wildlife so close up in its natural environment flicks some sort of inner switch - it's such a joy to witness and is the one thing guaranteed to make me smile.

Now? 12 hour night bus to Iguassu, wooo!