From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Friday 25 April 2014

Potosi

Written Wednesday 23 and Thursday 24 April

Standing at a lofty 4,300 metres above sea level, Potosi is the highest city in the world. At first I was quite glad we're spending just one day in total here - kind of wishing time away so the jungle stay comes up more quickly - but I actually really like the city. A world away from La Paz, Potosi is a beautiful, lively place with camera ready colonial architecture (reminds me of Alcala, where I spent my year abroad), interesting things to see and do and very welcoming people. It certainly has a more Spanish/European feel to it which I was happy to soak up on my self guided tour (got SO lost despite having a map and asking for directions to the hotel twice).



Spent the evening watching a moving documentary on the silver mines here, where the dangerous working conditions have taken the lives of more than 8 million people. We've got the chance to go into the mines tomorrow morning before leaving for Sucre but after reading something about asbestos I've been completely put off! (Plus I'm not a huge fan of dark, cramped spaces.) Shame as I think it would be a memorable, eye-opening and one-off experience...but I'm sure I'll find alternatives to pass the time. Quite fancy buying a chain for a blue footed booby pendant I treated myself to in the Galapagos - that way I can see the miner's markets too. Bed time now...had PJs on by 9pm...all this travelling is really taking it out of me!

---

Walking on rooftops high above the city, almost getting abducted by a Bolivian who wanted to 'give me a lift' to the market 1 minute away (¡no gracias!) and getting pulled into a bear hug by a policeman dressed as some kind of fluffy animal - it's been a weird sort of a day.

Knowing that the roof terrace offers cool panoramic views of the city, I went to the Convent of San Francisco without realising you could only explore as part of a guided tour. Of religious paintings. In Spanish. To make matters worse, I was the only person on the tour, so I not only had to pretend I was interested and engaged the entire time (tricky when you don't have the foggiest what the guide is talking about) but I was also obliged to answer the questions she kept asking me throughout about aforementioned yawn worthy paintings (difficult when you've switched off/don't realise you're being asked a question - cue VERY awkward moment). After what felt like an eternity, got to the roof terrace... Almost had a heart attack shuffling along walkways with rails on only one side but got my panoramic views:


Scuttled off to the safety of the plaza and markets where I found a silver chain (for less than £12!) and had a wander.


Nice morning and now 4 hour bumpy bus ride to Sucre. On a side note, the bathroom door in our Potosi hotel actually closed! A little bit too well...after almost pulling the door off its hinges to get back into the bedroom, we just decided to leave it ajar - argh! Maybe Sucre will prove to be the magical (mythical?) city of closing doors as well as one of Bolivia's more beautiful urban offerings - fingers crossed!