From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Friday 18 April 2014

La Paz - day 2

Friday 18 April

So, totally forgot it was Good Friday today...happy long weekend everyone! While it being a holy day and all meant there were parades and other celebrations going on around the city, it also meant that almost everything was closed, including most restaurants. Ended up in Burger King for lunch purely due to lack of other options - cultural!

Went on the best free city walking tour I've been on to date with my roomie (Jana) - our guides were hilarious and I learnt so much about the city in 3 and a half hours of awesomeness. Still not sure I like it though...will certainly not be sad to swap La Paz for the salt flats tomorrow. Very excited to go although we're going to be travelling ALL day to get there. Charging up Mr iPod in preparation...

View of the city from the 15th floor of a hotel:


Nice views etc but do feel like I've sort 'done' this kind of scenery in Quito and Cusco (although the snowcapped mountain is a gorj backdrop to any city). Definitely more of a natural landscapes/wildlife kind of person than a city girl. People I've spoken to since I left home are often surprised when they find out I'm only spending a day or 2 in a particular city, but honestly that's generally enough for me - especially since I'm not drinking which means I don't have to budget for hangover days!

Everyone travels in their own way and for me, express is best - I'd get restless otherwise! Plus I have to keep some cash back for Europe and Asia so can't afford to stay in one place for too long. Asia might be different though...thinking of volunteering there for a while (basically trying to eke out my travels for as long as possible before snapping back to reality!).

Just about to meet my tour group for the next 3 and a half weeks...will blog in a few days after the salt flats!