From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Machu Picchu - wonder of the world

Written Wednesday 16 April

Well, well, well. I've never considered myself a mountain kind of girl - the fear of heights doesn't help - but I think it's physically impossible not to be astonished by the majestic landscape proudly displayed by the incredible Machu Picchu. All of my concerns about feeling like I'd already 'seen' it (myraid Facebook photos and sitting through around 500 snaps this time last year when mum trekked the Inca Trail) vanished the instant the cloud lifted to disclose the ruins in their full glory. Sat there just looking in awe for a good 40 minutes, completely missing the beginning of the tour I'd booked onto - but was so worth it. 


The ruins looked spectacular in the sun, as did the surrounding mountainscape...


...but glad I got there at 6am before the heat and the crowds. Ascending towards the sun gate with vast white clouds swallowing sections of the mountains as if to keep them a secret from the prying eyes of tourists, the serenity was on an equal footing with the tranquillity.


On the mumma's recommendation, also walked to the Inca Bridge, which was an interesting experience! With terror-inducing vertical cliffs to my right and a thin piece of rope attached to the wall on my left, I feared for my life on numerous occasions during the 5 minute stretch - but felt strangely exhilerated at the same time. The bridge is closed off to the public and for good reason - it consists of 4 or 5 logs laid across an ominously long drop and then an incredibly steep set of stairs scaling the mountain on the other side. Cool - but glad I'm not an Inca!

All in all, Machu Picchu - success!