From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Machu Picchu pueblo

Written Tuesday 15 April

I thought I'd have to fight off sleep on the train journey from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu town (7km away from the ruins) but the dramatic landscape startled me right out of my weary state and kept my eyes wide open for the full hour and a half. We rolled through towering mountains carpeted from top to bottom with lush green vegetation, peaks alternating between snowcapped and cloud covered and gushing rivers (and some brave souls in the distance doing the full trek - very glad I decided against it in the end, don't think even travelling the world will shock the lazy gene out of my system).


Made up of narrow cobbled streets framed by vast mountains looming overhead, this pint sized pueblo could easily be dwarfed out of existence. However, being the gateway to a wonder of the world it's swarming with tourists (which I actually find quite comforting) and buzzing with life - and people asking me if I want a freaking massage!



Perfect photography fodder which I took full advantage of, then got myself a Swedish/hot stone massage on the cheap - it was either succumbing to the inevitability or continuing to decline politely every 10 paces before eventually yelling that NO, I don't want a maldito masaje in some poor sod's face. 

Sitting in the hostel lobby at the mo listening to the rain...reminds me of the crazy storm in Cusco yesterday afternoon where it pelted it down so hard I thought the restaurant roof was going to cave in! Water leaking from the ceiling and through the light bulbs...standard. Took it in turns to stand in the doorway and watch in wonder as nature threw all it had to give at this now very soggy city.

P.S. Anyone thinking of travelling to South America, brush up on your Spanish! I've used it every single day - and not often out of choice. A lot of people don't even have a basic command of English, including hotel staff, so it's worth getting to grips with the basics. Quite embarrassed at how bad my Spanish is actually, I was sat next to a 50-something year old man on the train who struck up a conversation with me about an hour in and I couldn't for the life of me remember the 'vosotros' form of ANY verb, wah! Had to decide whether to go with what I know or refuse to ask him any questions whatsoever, so ended up calling him 'tu' for the rest of the journey. Don't think he minded but so not cool...

P.P.S. Always wear shoes in the hostel bathrooms. Judging by the state of mine tonight I think their approach to cleaning here involves standing in the doorway with a hose and giving anything in firing range a good soaking. Wet socks in a humid environment is not the one - nor is feeling like you've discovered the Amazon basin in your bathroom. Half expecting to find a crocodile frolicking in the shower tomorrow morning... 4am start for Machu Picchu tomorrow, dear god. Hope it's worth it!