From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Friday 11 April 2014

Galapagos day 6 - Santa Cruz

Written Thursday 10 April

As many of my family and friends will attest to, I am not a morning person, but getting up mad early is ten times easier when you're on a tropical island!


Saw dolphins on the early crossing from Isabela, but that wasn't the only thing that made today a wildlife as well as a beach day. The islands threw a very welcome surprise at us when 3 baby black tip sharks swam right up to shore at Tortuga Bay and stayed in the vicinity all afternoon.

I'd been roused from my slumber in the sun by a little kid shouting 'tiburon, tiburon' (shark, shark!) but thought he was just kidding around at first so completely ignored it. Suspicions raised when everyone on the beach gravitated towards the same place...I don't think I've ever moved so fast, was dying to see them and it was an incredible experience. I only ran away screaming twice too, which is pretty good going tbh - and one of those was when I put my foot like a metre away from its face to capture on camera how close I was. Shouldn't have been that surprised when it took a little bit too much interest!

Paddling just centimetres away from sharks - equally epic as snorkelling with them and tbh we didn't even need snorkels as they swam right into the shallows where the water was crystal clear anyway. AMAZING!




Tortuga Bay itself was beautiful, soft white sand - the kind that you want to scrunch your toes into - and bright blue ocean.



Had a lovely, relaxing day then an hour long stroll to the hostel during which we passed a fish market with a twist - sea lions queuing up like people waiting to be fed! Stood right up on their flippers peering over the edge of the counter, they were so cute.



Another amazing, unique day in the Galapagos - and sadly my last, boooo. Can't believe it's the end of my trip to this idyllic paradise which has been my absolute dream destination for years. Galapagos, this isn't the end. Nos vemos...