From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Friday 25 April 2014

Ciao ciao! Things I really don't miss

While some things have been a struggle to live without, there are also things I don't miss at all, some of which surprised me...

-Rain. This one didn't come as a huge surprise since my travels are as much about chasing the sun as seeking out unique landscapes and wildlife, but I'd forgotten how nice it is (and how much of a difference it makes to my mood) to open the curtains/unzip the tent to blue skies and the promise of a warm sunny day. England is SO depressing in comparison.

-Reception and wi-fi. Despite having tried to tag myself in my blog photos, I am pleased to report that Facebook withdrawal symptoms have been minimal. Most places do have coverage and wi-fi (although it can be very slow) but when there's no possible way to be in contact with anyone, it's actually quite liberating. Being disconnected from home is all part of the experience and adds to the sense of independent travel. 

-Wardrobes. Most of the hostels do have them but when you're only stopping off for one night, there's not really much point unpacking. Having said that, living out of a backpack incurs much frustration - can't even count the number of panics I've had after 'losing' my iPod. 

-Make up. Cannot stress how nice it is to ditch the mascara and not give a shit about what you look like. No one looks their best on the road and we've all seen each other at our worst - ill, tired, grumpy, after no access to a shower for 3 days etc. Although walking out with just a smudge of foundation on (make-up wise!) is refreshing, I am glad I brought my whole kit along - it's amazing how much better whacking on some eyeliner and pulling on a pair of jeans can make you feel after travelling through the desert for 3 days bare faced and in a pair of unflattering and progressively dusty hiking trousers.

-Pringles. And cookies. Judging by the amount they stock in the corner shops here, you'd be forgiven for thinking that these constitute a key part of the Latin American diet.

-Alcohol. The self-imposed ban is going very well. Last drink (bar a few sips of Pisco Sour in Peru which I'm not counting) was 29 March - almost a month! With my famously hideous hangovers, it's just not worth it - don't want to miss a second of what this trip has to offer. Plus drinking at high altitude when you're as much of a lightweight as I am is just not clever; don't want to ruin my good track record of feeling okay at 3/4000 metres. Also...drank far too much in the last few weeks leading up to my travels so I want to detox in that sense and shift the wine weight - although the daily cookie overdose is probably counteracting any effect the limited booze intake is having. Whoops!

-Quiet roads. And orderly roads, at that. Beeping seems to be a favourite pastime here and is the first port of call when stuck in a short traffic queue, to scare a llama out of the road or simply because nobody's honked their horn for a few seconds and they feel a pressing need to fill the lovely silence. 

Between the things I do and don't miss, there's a pretty equal balance. Basically, as long as I can find black tea every few days, life will be perfect! :)