From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Cusco - day 2

Monday 14 April

People sometimes say that it doesn't matter where you go as long as you've got good company. Today I decided to go on a 'free' walking tour ("Nothing comes for free guys") where I met Eddie, a Canadian travelling through the country who I ended up hanging out with until the early hours :) Didn't do much, just wandered, sampled local dishes and introduced ourselves to the famous Pisco Sour cocktail which was yummers. (This is a non-negotiable rite of passage for anyone visiting Peru so as far as I'm concerned I'm still good on the not drinking front!). 

Feel ten times better than yesterday, think all I needed was some company. Eddie's trip sounds amazing - 3 whole months just in Peru including a decent stint in the jungle, although having seen the pics think Cusco was the right decision after all - jungle seems to be mostly insects (spiders!) and giant guinea pigs (like dog size, maybe even bigger). Still quite keen to go on the off chance of seeing a jaguar and to photograph parrots and macaws in their natural environment. We'll see what happens - going to see how much jungle action I get on this Bolivia to Brazil tour and then decide whether to hop down to Belize or Mexico instead of flying home!

Anyway, Cusco will do for now...it's quite pretty really, especially if you get some height.




My first and last full day in Cusco, but tbh the city's so small I feel like I've seen all the main attractions (square, cathedral...Starbucks?) at least a dozen times. Even my taxi driver from the airport said 4 days is plenty to do Cusco and Machu Picchu. Not long to go til I'm there now!