From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Saturday 12 April 2014

I'm on top of the world!

Well, in the middle of it at least! Went to the 'geographically calculated' middle of the world (la mitad del mundo)...


...and did a few experiments at the museum to prove it - water going straight down the plug hole rather than swirling (anti)clockwise and failing spectacularly at walking in a straight line along the equator - almost fell flat on my face after approximately 3 steps! However, I am pleased to say that today I officially became an 'egg master' which involves successfully balancing an egg on top of the head of a nail on the equator line. Little things!

We stopped off somewhere on the way where vast clouds formed by water vapour released by the Cotopaxi Volcano swathed the mountains in a blanket of white, making for incredible viewing.


The whole afternoon - a 2 hour round trip in the taxi and the museum - cost $24!! Everything is so much cheaper here, haircuts for $3, pizza for $5 and long bus journeys for $0.50. Great last day in Quito, and indeed Ecuador. Having heard rave reviews, I quite want to visit BaƱos but I haven't left myself enough time for impromptu visits unfortunately... On the plus side, off to Cuzco tomorrow for 4 days. Had a mild panic this morning that I might have to miss my flight; the laundrette said to collect my clothes at half 9 but when I went it was closed...still closed at half 10 and at half 11! Eeeek, luckily it opened at like midday but it was a very stressful morning, the thought of continuing my travels with a pair of jeans, a top and one pair of pants does not bear thinking about!