From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Sunday 6 April 2014

Galapagos day 2 - San Cristobal

Glorious. Incredible. Breathtaking. I could go on - this day has been every positive adjective in the dictionary - and then some. Today was a free day so Daria and I rented bikes as planned and cycled our way to sea lion beach - interesting translation considering there were exactly 7 sea lions on the whole beach! But I have no complaints: the lagoon that precedes the shallow, rocky and bright blue ocean was teeming with life. Saw loads of colourful, exotic fish - some huge - and young sea lions playing underwater from about 2 metres away. But the best surprise of all hidden in those waters was an enormous sea turtle which was perfectly happy to sit on the sea floor for half an hour while we watched in awe. The second time we saw it, another glided in and joined it briefly before swimming off again. It was a dream come true and I had exactly zero freakouts this time - I think because I could touch the floor pretty much at all times whereas yesterday I was literally out of my depth. Amazing amazing AMAZING.



Lovely, relaxing day - prep for tomorrow's 5.30am wake up to catch a boat to Santa Cruz, where we'll hopefully see giant tortoises in the wild at an ecological reserve and camp under the stars. Sweeeet. Will update on Saturday at the latest, hopefully before, All in all, having a lovely time!