From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Sunday 17 May 2015

Cutting loose in Noos-a

Since I've come back to Oz, it's felt like I've been on holiday rather than travelling - yes, there's a difference! 

The four days I spent in Noosa were akin to an actual beach holiday, with much of my time dedicated solely to tanning on Main Beach. I did muster up the energy to take myself on a leisurely walk along the coastal fringes of Noosa's National Park, and I'm really glad I did because the coves, open ocean and empty beaches were stunning. I'm guilty of overusing this word, I know, but honestly there were times when I couldn't take more than a few steps without having to stop again to soak up the views.






To top it all off, just as I was nearing the end of the trail I spotted two wild dolphins - possibly a mother and calf as one looked teeny tiny :)

Those of you who have me on Facebook will know I attempted a surf lesson too - I'm just going to copy and paste my post-surf status here because it sums it up quite nicely: 

'Today I caught my first wave and made it all the way to the beach standing up! Shame that was the first wave into the lesson and I spent the next hour bellyflopping on the water, swallowing half the sea, trying to fish my contact lens out of the far side of my eye (fun fact: being half blind does not make you a good surfer) - oh, and worst of all I stood chatting to my instructor completely oblivious that the waves had forced my rash vest and bikini top right up to my shoulders. Smooth. No wonder he got so talkative all of a sudden! To add insult to injury, the only photo of me with a surfboard has turned me into an Aryan female Hitler. Might take a rain check on a second lesson...'


As well as being super relaxing, it was a pretty productive few days. I entered a travel writing competition which I'm really crossing my fingers for - the prize is the opportunity to become a Features Writer for Rough Guides, and a £2000 travel voucher! I also started looking into whale watching boats up the coast and sending out emails to see whether they're looking for staff. I'd assumed I would go back to Melbourne after seeing the east coast but the wintery weather is scarily similar to London so...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to head south. We'll see anyway, depends where the jobs are!