From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Thursday 21 August 2014

Isn't it amazing how the smallest decision...

...can end up drastically changing the course of your day, trip or even life? When I went down to dinner alone yesterday, I never dreamed that this everyday affair would lead to meeting a world renowned zoologist and receiving a free pair of nearly new binoculars. 

In last night's blog post, I mentioned that a nice Canadian couple (Lu and Jaynne) who invited me to sit with them at dinner kindly offered to drop me off at the National Museum in the morning, as I'd been too nervous to leave the hotel that entire day. As it transpired, they'd planned to spend a few hours there themselves and let me tag along as their private guide showed them the museum's collection of stuffed bird skins (it was more interesting than it sounds! There was one tiny bird the size of a moth's body - so excluding wings - and some beautiful, brightly coloured specimens too). After being introduced to everyone in the department, we went for a stroll around the museum grounds looking and listening for birds with Lu's binoculars looped around my neck (bird watching is their thing, and it was a privilege to see how passionate they are about it - stopping mid-sentence to identify a bird that had hopped into their line of vision & letting their soups go cold to hurry me down the path and make sure I got a good view of an African Paradise Flycatcher). 

When we sat down for a Kenyan shandy/ginger beer concoction (verdict: delish), Lu said he and Jaynne had been talking and that they wanted to give me the binoculars! Like, proper binoculars which were bought new at the beginning of his trip. Speechless is not the word; I think I managed to stammer a thank you but I was entirely lost for words at such a generous gesture - especially since they'd known me for little under 8 hours. And then they were shocked I paid for the tea! It was the very least I could do - did I also mention that they gave their guide their 50x zoom camera as a parting gift?! Canadians are officially my favourite people.

The binoculars are not only a symbol of generosity but will also dramatically enhance my safari experience. I'd gone upstairs a bit miffed at myself after dinner yesterday for not having packed a pair (honestly, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind until Lu showed genuine concern for how much I might miss. Found myself Googling gaff like 'Do I reeeally need binoculars for a safari' and the resounding answer was a big fat YES. Balls).

I am SO chuffed with my gift, which will do the obvious and enhance my viewing of animals we can't get up close to, and allow me to see wildlife we do get up close to in greater detail. Plus, they'll come in super handy for whale watching in Hermanus, so I can take my favourite pastime to the next level! Yay!!!

If this wasn't enough, it turns out Lu - who introduced himself as a retired zoologist and biologist - is actually an internationally renowned expert in his field, has published several books and...wait for it...has worked with David Attenborough (my idol)!! And to think I almost cancelled because I was tired... (There was a wedding taking place nearby last night that went noisily on until the early hours.) Life eh? Sometimes it really comes through for you!

P.S. Got a bit of a shock on the walk back from the museum. A man collapsed behind us and appeared to be having a seizure. It was so scary, he was foaming at the mouth and I really thought he was going to die. Luckily Lu & Jaynne's guide was with us and rushed to put him in the recovery position while Lu ran off to get help (while I just stood there frozen to the spot, useless). By the time help had arrived he was sitting up and seemed to be okay, but the whole episode was slightly terrifying.

P.P.S. Met my group just now...there are 21 of us and of the 16 people there (including myself) 14 are couples!! Sigh. There's one girl from Surrey who's on her own and seems cool & if there are 5 more left to arrive that means at least one more person is travelling solo - hooray! Although the couples do seem really nice (one from Ireland). Tomorrow should be good, we're doing a boat safari on Lake Naivasha & a game drive round Lake Nakuru. Excellent!